Monday 3 March 2014

Pitting My Two Favourite Eye Primers Against Each Other!

Every makeup lover knows that a good eye primer is an essential in your makeup kit. I have a decent collection of them, but always find myself reaching for the same two over and over again. So, I did what any makeup addict would do, compare them!

The primers in question are Too Faced Shadow Insurance (SI), and handmade Femme Fatale Cosmetics Shadow Magic (SM). These two primers are both very, very good, and yet very different. SI is a liquid primer, and SM is a hard, waxy primer. Application is different because of that, but I have never had any trouble applying either.

For this 'experiment', I tested the primers, one on each eye, under three different eye shadow looks - matte neutrals, mettalics, and a cream shadow (which I did smother in powder shadows!). I took photos straight after applying, and just before removal. Each day, I had SI on my left eye, and SM on my right. Also, I did have to take some of the photos on my phone, so forgive me if the quality is not absolutely fantabulous. Also, my eyebrows are terrible, I know.

Day one was the matte neutrals test. I used my beloved Urban Decay Naked Basics palette for this, with Maybelline Master Precise liner.


First off, I had a bit of trouble applying and blending the crease colour over SI. At the end of the day, the SM eye was still almost perfect, and the SI was only a tiny bit faded. Score 1 to Femme Fatale.

Day 2 was Metallics. I used the red and gold from my Napoleon Perdis Fire Quad, and added a tiny bit of Urban Decay Crave. Liner was Maybelline Hyper Glossy.


At the end of the day, both eyes had some shimmery fall out and fading. I'd call this one a draw.

And finally, for day three, I tested the primers with a creme shadow base, NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk. I then added a bunch of crazy neons from Sleek's Acid Palette. This look is from an xsparkage tutorial, I used the same colours, but different brands (she used Sugarpill for hers). Liner again was Maybelline Hyper Glossy.


Now, this one at the end of the day. The SM had creased, and faded quite noticeably. Of the three looks, this was the worst end of day eye I had. The SI had faded slightly too, but not anywhere near as much. SI wins this round!

So, at the end of this, both primers fared equally. Obviously, they individually work better with different shadows- I've learnt that for mattes, stick with Femme Fatale, and for cream shadows, Too Faced is my guy.

I really hope you guys enjoyed this post, because I had a lot of fun with it!

Until Next Time,

<3 Bec


*the Femme Fatale Cosmetics primer mentioned in this post were sent to me for testing purposes. This in no way affects my opinion of it*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every single comment I get, and while I may not reply, I always read them. Please do not leave links to blogs/advertising in a comment, this is not what my blog is for.

Thank you